All my life I have had a love of nature, wildlife and the `great outdoors'. Growing up in the beautiful counties of Devon and Somerset, I spent an idyllic childhood roaming the countryside, building camps, helping on the local farm, and collecting animals -anything from an orphaned lamb to a slow worm or two.
I was always encouraged to paint and draw so when I heard about the Wildlife Illustration course in Carmarthen, South Wales, it seemed the perfect opportunity to further my interests.
In 1986 I moved to Wales to study and gained an invaluable knowledge in observation and drawing skills. In my second year I began to find working on flat surfaces and paper limiting so I took a trip to the Sculpture Department and discovered the wonders of clay.
It was really fantastic to be able to work in a more physical `hands on' way. I spent the next 2 years thoroughly enjoying its possibilities and learning about the `Raku' firing technique - a process that is challenging and fast with its flames, heat and billowing smoke but also exciting as no two firings are ever the same. I find that the beautiful lustre's and crackle's that are produced have a natural, organic quality that I feel enhances my animal forms.
Since graduating with a distinction in 1990 I have shown my work in the UK, Europe and the USA whilst also building up a number of galleries where I show my work on a regular basis.
In 2003 I bought a little house on a beautiful hillside on the outskirts of Swansea which I share with my three dogs and five cats. I am currently in the process of building my first proper studio after years spent working in leaky cow sheds and freezing cold caravans. Here I plan to continue working and developing my skills. I would like to have some of my work cast in bronze and I also plan to learn how to weld so that I can work on a different scale, creating large animals and birds for the garden.
- October 1990 - Society of Designer Craftsmen, Young Licentiate Exhibition, London.
- November 1990 - Glyn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea.
- December 1990 - 'Take Two' - Henry Thomas Gallery, Carmarthen.
- August 1991 - Welsh Contemporary Art - Festival Interceltique, Lorient, Brittany.
- October 1991 - 'Ten X-posed' - Public Library, Carmarthen.
- November 1991 - Dyfed/Vejle Exhibition - Vejle, Denmark
- February 1992 - The Survey of Ceramics and Weaving Exhibition (Part One) The Public Library, Carmarthen.
- July 1992 - Origin Originals 1 - The Old Art School Gallery, Carmarthen.
- August 1992- The Survey of Ceramics and Weaving Exhibition - Touring
- December 1992 - Henry Thomas Gallery, Carmarthen.
- February 1993 - 'Making it' - Oriel Myrddin, Carmarthen.
- June 1994 - Christies Wildlife Art Sale - Kensington, London.
- October/November 1994 - Lead artist on 6 weeks residency at the Penclawdd Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust - Llanelli Festival Project
- November 1994 - Neville Gallery – Llanelli
- From Easter 1991 - Until the present day constantly showing at Fountain Fine Art in Llandeilo.
- Since 1995 - Due to increasing demand from collectors and galleries Sallie continues to produce a large range of work.
- October 2000 - Eaton Gallery - Hudson, New York.
- July 2005 – Portrait of a Town – Fountain Fine Art, Llandeilo
- July 2006 – Two-man show with Andrew Douglas-Forbes – Fountain Fine Art, Llandeilo
- September 2006 – Two-man show with Gareth Thomas – The Crane Gallery, Swansea
- May 2007 – Three person show with Andrew Douglas-Forbes & Esther Tyson – Fountain Fine Art, Llandeilo
May 2008 – Three person show with Esther Tyson & Seren Bell – Fountain Fine Art, Llandeilo
- June 2010 – Two person show with Penelope Timmis – Fountain Fine Art, Llandeilo